- Building Department
- Application for Business License
Application for Business License
City of Lynn Haven City Code Chapter 113 Ordinance number 583 requires that all business, professionals, independent contractors, and individuals who accept compensation for goods or services obtain a City of Lynn Haven business tax certificate. Please note all independent contractors required their own business tax certificate.
For the purpose of this article any person holding himself out to the public at a given location by sign, printed matter, classified section, or city directory, or otherwise as being engaged in business, or as offering services or property to the public, regardless of whether such person actually transacts any business or practices a profession, shall be considered as engaging in business and shall be liable for an occupation license therefore. (Code 1962, 13-3, Ordinance Number 583, 1(13-3), August 22, 1995)
Processing & Fees
Business tax fees vary and are determined by the type of business engaged in. If you begin or advertise a business activity before obtaining the required City of Lynn Haven business tax certificate, you are subject to a 25% penalty. It takes seven to ten business days to process an application and business tax certificates expire September 30th of each year. To avoid late charges, renew the business tax certificate before September 30th of each year.
To ensure that the business is legal and the location is safe for public use, the following six-step review process is conducted before issuing of the local business tax receipt:
- A complete application with copies of the following items:
- Copy of Fictitious name registration or articles of incorporation, or Limited Liability Company (LLC) papers if your business name does not contain your first and last name, you must register the name with the State of Florida, Division of Corporations
- Copies of all or any State Certification / License from the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, State of Florida Department of Health, State of Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services or any other Florida State License needed to operate your business
- Copy of Federal Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number - Florida Statues require that you provide us with either your business Federal Employer Identification number or your social security number
- Certificate of insurance from your regular insurance company and/or Workers Compensation
- If a storefront/commercial will also be approved through Planning and Development along with a Fire Inspection.
If a home is used as the business address, an inspection may be required depending on the business activity. If you rent your home or apartment, or live in a condominium, approval from the owner/landlord or condominium association is required. You must state that they are aware of the proposed business use and that it is acceptable.
These regulations are outlined by Florida State Statute 205 and the City of Lynn Haven Ordinance Chapter 13.