Communications (Dispatch)


The Communications Division is led by Communications Manager, Raymond Gates, and is operated by certified Communication Officers. The Communications Division serves as a support entity and nerve center for the Police Department and is the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for the City of Lynn Haven. As the PSAP, the Communications Division has the responsibility to staff and answer, on a 24/7 basis, the telephones upon which calls for service are received. This includes non-emergency and 911 emergency calls.

Call Handling

The Communications Division handles only police related calls for the City. When a 911 call for the Lynn Haven Fire Department or Emergency Medical Services (EMS) is received, the caller is connected with the Bay County Emergency Operations Center. All Communication Officers are highly trained and certified by the State of Florida. They are also required by the Department to complete ongoing monthly training and re-certification by the State every two years.  This is to ensure the best practices and standards are given. Communication Officers are the liaisons between the public and the Department.

System Use

The Communications Division utilizes a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system, as well as the National Crime Information System (NCIC) and Florida Crime Information System (FCIC). The Communications Center handles approximately 45,000 calls for service each year.

When to Dial 911

  • Medical Emergency
  • Fire
  • Motor Vehicle Accidents
  • Suspicious Vehicles or persons
  • To report incidents of auto theft, burglary, rape, arson, assault, robbery, shoplifting, disturbances, theft, domestic violence, fights, missing persons, shootings, stabbings, destruction of property, all crimes in progress or just occurred, etc.
  • To report road hazards, drunk drivers or reckless drivers, wires down, tornados, etc.

If you are unsure your situation is an emergency, call 911.

When to Dial the Non-Emergency Number

The residents of Lynn Haven may call the non-emergency number (850) 265-4111 to report non-urgent incidents that require a police response such as loud music, lost wallets, cell phones, passports, and other non-violent complaints, etc. The same dispatchers who answer the 911 calls also answer the non-emergency number, so be patient.  911 calls will be answered first then the non-emergency phone.